By: Syndryn Draconis
New breeds of music promotion are popping up all over the state of Michigan. However, one stands out above all the rest. The House of Razorblades is driving the competition out of business. Becoming widely popular with great promotional tactics, new merchandise, awesome band contacts, and an entire family of fellow promoters... the House of Razorblades continues to grow successfully. House of Razorblades merchandise is now featured on celebrities such as, Dave Navarro, Steve Joyner, and The Butcher Babies. I recently had the chance to catch an interview with owner and founder, Shannon Razorblade who was kind enough to give me a little of her time.
- Syndryn: Tell me how you got started in this business.
- Shannon: I've been in and out of bands since I was 13, and wanting to put on more than just a metal show. I was wanting to put on shows full of all kinds of entertainment. I started Asylum angels which was a group of hot tattooed women that I would dress up and do special effects make up on and have them do all kinds of crazy stuff while my band played. Rampage Asylum made a custom keyboard stand that I could metal grind on while the girls danced in the sparks, although keyboard is not my forte I am a singer by nature. However, trying to organize a group of women and a band was not so easy. I know I can count on myself and I know what I am capable of.
- Syndryn: Sounds like it would be difficult to manage. Where did the Razorblade name and family begin?
- Shannon: I needed a stage name and my promoter at the time (Defend Detroit) said I was edgy and sharp like a razor blade and its stuck ever since. I have done several BDSM shows where my toy was a razor blade so I've earned it lol. The House Of Razorblades family is everyone that supports me and enjoys all the crazy stuff I do.
- Syndryn: Very nice! It is good to know I'm not alone in that insane world.
- Shannon: Lol, it's fun to let your demons out to play once in awhile
- Syndryn: Now, you recently began to create new merchandise? Can you tell me about some of your new designs?
- Shannon: Once again it all started with band shows. I want to see bands and fans dressed up at shows. If you're going out, get dressed up. If you're putting on a show, make that shit shine.
- Syndryn: I agree.
- Shannon: So I started making creepy weird over the top stuff. And people love it... So now I'm trying my best to put it out there for everyone.
- Syndryn: That is wonderful!! I hope you keep that up! Where can we expect to start seeing HOR gear?
- Shannon: As of next Saturday, Sid Wilson of Slip Knot will be sporting HOR gear. Dave Navarro, Steve Joyner, and The Butcher Babies also wear HOR necklaces. And of course everyone in Genitorturers wear HOR necklaces.
- Syndryn: Awesome!!! That is great that you have such huge success with your merchandise! Now have you always been in the music scene, or have you done modeling as well?
- Shannon: I have been a professional model since I was 14. I have done hair shows, ads and everything else.
- Syndryn: And a gorgeous one!
- Shannon: Thank you!
- Syndryn: You are very welcome! You recently added a new member to the HOR family. What made you want to team up with Matthew Derrone?
- Shannon: We both have a history with Mushroomhead and his personality is exactly what I need to push me over the top...
- Syndryn: He is a fun guy!
- Shannon: I met him at a benefit show at the machine shop and we clicked right away. He is the annoying little brother I always wished I had. Lol
- Syndryn: Lol, that he is.
- Shannon: He hypes up the shows. He is my drummer for our secret band project.
- Syndryn: Nice! What else does the House of Razorblades offer to its fans? Are there any links or sites for your merchandise?
- Shannon: Website will be up and running with full stock shortly after the new year. I have bands and venues across the nation, and I want to see the metal community back to what it was 10 years ago. Packed venues and people moshing the shit out of each other and then shaking hands.
- Syndryn: I think you have a better shot at that than other promoters I know. You have the drive it takes and the resources to back you up. You have a great group of followers, and many wonderful band connections.
- Shannon: Thank you. Its hard in this economy
- Syndryn: Any new shows we should all know about?
- Shannon: Other than slip knot... it's hibernation season. Time to build my empire and bust out huge in the spring. Diesel lounge will be home base come spring time.
- Syndryn: Very nice! I am certain everyone is excited, I know I am! I can not wait to see the power of HOR.
- Shannon: I hope so. I am trying to feature in as many local band videos as possible. Divaudi studio whom I also work with, has a bad ass setup.
- Syndryn: What other local or State wide venues do you work with?
- Shannon: Having toured with Genitorturers and being in the industry with national bands I have venues all over. Chicago and Cleveland are 2 of my favorites.
- Syndryn: Tell us more! Lol
- Shannon: Other than designing and making music my favorite part is hosting/emcee for shows. I love getting people hyped up and excited. I love putting out positivity. I love to see people having a good time.
- Syndryn: Any special previews of the new band??
- Shannon: Nope, it's top secret. Were waiting till we have a full album and a tour lined up then exploding the world with beautiful bloody metal.
- Syndryn: I can not wait! Is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?
- Shannon: I want people to approach me, talk to me, and support artists of all kinds. Show love, because we're all in this together.
With all of her enthusiasm and her talents, Shannon will not be failing at her dream. She has the drive and the power it takes to make this work for bands, local or national all over the world. There is no doubt in my mind that this company is vastly becoming the top promotion company in Michigan, putting this fine state, and it's brutal metal scene back on the map. - Syndryn Draconis
DIABOLIQUE - The Premiere Horror Genre Magazine
DIABOLIQUE "The Premiere Horror Genre Magazine" is jam packed with exclusive photos and interviews, insightful commentary, criticism, reviews, featured articles from acclaimed horror writers and much more in full color! Every two months you are presented with the ultimate insider's guide which explores every aspect of the fascinating world of horror movies, literature and art. A visually stunning bible for horror genre fans of all ages, engage your heart, your mind and your taste for terror with-in the pages of this indispensable and lavishly illustrated collector's magazine printed on the highest quality glossy paper!
Get VIP access to all of the biggest names in the horror industry. DIABOLIQUE brings you the first look and the last word including fresh analyses to subjects old and new, foreign and domestic - from ancient folklore and Gothic classics to contemporary horror film releases and modern literary gems. Past issues have included contributors from such horror luminaries as Jonathan Rigby, David Del Valle, Colin McCraken, David Huckvale, Paul Murray, and Elizabeth Miller among many others! Subscribe here
Quotes from reputable sources:
"DIABOLIQUE takes its horror seriously, and the content reflects it... A heady, well-written excursion into the horror world...One of the best produced horror film mags introduced in recent years... A top 'Best Of' contender." - Monster Magazine World
"Horror Happenings highly recommends DIABOLIQUE. A great horror magazine." - Examiner.com
"I love DIABOLIQUE. Elegant magazine... Beautiful." - Chris Alexander, Editor-in-Chief, Fangoria"I just saw the new issue of Diabolique and seriously almost teared up. Blown away with the whole thing; layout, theme, and overall tone of it. One of the reasons that I love this magazine is the care and attention which they put into the presentation of the material. When you put days and weeks into an article, it's wonderful to know that it will be done justice on the printed page. Hats off to Max Weinstein, Dima Ballin and Greg Petaloudis for their outstanding work on issue #19. It's a beauty." - Colin McCraken zombiehamster.com
"DIABOLIQUE brings back the feeling of joy and awe you experienced when you cracked open your first horror magazine... Truly the cream of the crop!" - Fatally Yours Horror Reviews
"Quite insightful. An intriguing look into the history of horror while also keeping readers abreast of current events." - Flamesrising.com
"Still a relatively new kid on the block, DIABOLIQUE is already cementing its reputation as a horror mag with class... I would urge anyone to pick up an issue of DIABOLIQUE and give their brain a workout." - Cyberschizoid.com
"Thought provoking writing on venerable horror classics, side-by-side with pieces on lesser known works... Meaty, detailed pieces on horror writers old and new... Think of DIABOLIQUE as the 'Vogue' of the horror genre. (Maybe even the 'Vogue Paris')." - Kyle Marffin, author of Gothique, Waiting for the 400 and Carmilla: The Return
Subscribe To DIABOLIQUE here